History of the Kipperhof​

logo alt

The oldest clues about the origins of the Kipperhof building are provided by maps from the 18th century (e.g. from 1723), which are stored in the Otterberg town archives and the diocesan archives in Speyer. Ownership of the current property can be assigned to the stock books for the first time in 1736: Jacob Kipper (sometimes also spelled Kipfert) and Georg Andes. In later generations, the Kipper family produced a municipal servant (adjunct), even a mayor (Karl Kipper, 1814 and 1815) and several municipal councillors (father Johannes Kipper and son Daniel Kipper, 1838).

In 1853, the entire Kipper family emigrated to North America. Since that year, many generations of the Schermer/Schwarz family have lived on the farm
until they sold it to the local community of Otterbach in 1987. The last owner of the family, Mrs. Schermer, married to Mr. Schwarz, still lives near the “Kipperhof” today.

This name was chosen from many suggestions in a referendum. After 3 years of planning and restoration, a “Restaurant and Café Kipperhof” was opened in September 1991. In
year 2000, the Kipperhof was sold to Mr. Spiegelmacher, who has lived in the property ever since and has extensively redesigned the restaurant.

The originally preserved main house was a so-called long house, a typical architecture of rural estates in this region at that time: the front part of the house had two storeys with rooms for the farmer’s family, possibly also for the farmhand and maid, and the cow or pigsty at the back. The building survived the centuries, including the Battle of Morlautern in 1793, without any major fires. In the 19th century, the estate was extended in an L-shape with a small distillery, a barn and 4 vaulted cellars for potatoes or rum. A garden and fields were arranged directly around the building. In the 19th and early 20th century, a small restaurant was set up in the front building, as indicated by a hatch to the adjoining kitchen. The building has been a listed building since 1987.

The type of half-timbering and the special vaults, curved in several radii, are regional witnesses of the 17th and 18th centuries. The building was completely restored by 1991, preserving as many of the building’s components as possible (cellar, half-timbering, door and window surrounds, cattle troughs). The old barn was reconstructed for its new purpose (restaurant on 3 floors), using original old half-timbered parts of an ancient barn from the Landau region. Since 2000, the building has been completely renovated and constantly refined.